Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Who the Hell is Lukas Rossi?

This is probably too obscure for most of the people who read this page, but if you happened to catch this past season of VHI's Rock Star: Supernova, you know exactly who I'm talking about.



For the other 99.9% of the world for which there were better things to do, I'll fill you in. VHI has been running a show called "Rock Star:____" for a couple of years now. The first season's objective was to find a replacement singer for the band INXS. They did so, and discovered a fellow who brought his own original song entitled "Pretty Vegas", which was a moderate radio hit. The judges were the actual remaining members of the band INXS, and they chose who they wanted from a pool of 20+ applicants, American Idol-style. The audience got a vote, but the final say went to the band.

Well the most recent season was to find a lead singer for a new group called "Supernova" which consists of members of several other bands. Most notably Pamela Anderson's ex-husband Tommy Lee (formerly of Motley Crue), Gilby Clarke (formerly of Guns'n'Roses) and Jason Newstead (formerly of Metallica). In their quest to find a frontman for their new super-group, they discovered this an unlikely-looking fellow named Lukas Rossi who sang like he had sand in his throat but as you can see in the videos here, he ended up being every bit a rock star. His performances were so much better than the other hopefuls that I knew halfway through the season with utter certainty that he would win. There were still 8 possible winners left when he sang a version of the Killers' "All These Things That I've Done" that I thought was better than the original.



Additionally, he performed a song that he had written himself called "Headspin" that I think was as good as anything on the radio at that time.



I challenge you to watch these videos and NOT be impressed by this guy's stage presence. He sings like someone's going to take him out into the street and shoot him afterward. He's like a strange combination of Freddie Mercury, Meat Loaf, and Green Day. And this, somehow, is a good thing.

At the end of that last clip, there's a hilarious moment where the host (Jane's Addiction guitarist, and husband to Carmen Electra) Dave Navarro pokes fun at reality TV by suggesting to Lukas as he walks off the stage that he should "grab his torch and head back to camp."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog, and thought it was really good. I love this line especially:

"He sings like someone's going to take him out into the street and shoot him afterward."

I agree, I challenge anyone to question his stage presence. See him in concert, and it's all over from there.

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm glad to see some one other than myself that likes Mr. Rossi. If you haven't attended one of their concerts yet, please do. He is even better than anything on the TV show.

Anonymous said...

Bless you for acknowledging the showman that Lukas Rossi is. There are a lot of fans out here supporting him! If he's peaked your interest enough, please research his two previous bands on the internet - Cleavage and Rise Electric. Incredible music...and you'll discover that's he's a very talented songwriter. Also look up his video "Riddled" on youtube -- amazing to watch. This musician is not going anywhere...he'll be around for many, many years to come. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this blurb! I just love Lukas' voice and style. Glad you feel the same.

Anonymous said...

Yeeeeeeiiiyah dude!!! It's so nice to find someone who appreciates Lukas Rossi! The show has created a bit of a cult following for this boy and us "Lukatics" love him! I'll be on the road to Everett and Vancouver to see him and the band. Boooyaaa!

gel cacepi said...

Thank God for cheesy T.V. shows! If it wasn't for Rock Star I wouldn't have ever heard of Lukas Rossi.
I prefer his Rise Electric music to RSS though.

(psssst....Jason was the bassist for Metallica. ;) )

Anonymous said...

It was a refreshing change to see some positive feedback on Lukas. Some of us see it - he has amazing stage presence and he has such heart in his vocals. I can't believe the negative reactions I've been reading. They fall into two general categories, 1) they have preconceived notions that he couldn't be the real deal because he got the gig on reality tv, and 2) they don't have any clue about who he is, what he's done on his own, and that he's an incredible songwriter. Every negative and uneducated viewpoint breeds other bad first impressions which is sad. Lukas deserves reviews based on what he is and what he does, not on "oh the guy that won on reality tv". Anyway enough ranting from me!! I saw him in concert, it was the first concert I was interested in seeing in many years, I screamed like a teenager when I was there and had the time of my life.

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog as well! I love Lukas Rossi! I agree that he's very talented and amazing to see in concert.

PS though the network running the Rockstar ____ series is CBS, not VH1!

Anonymous said...

Did you notice the tear as he sang in that last clip?