Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Peek-a-boo with a baby beluga whale



This is the video I've been telling everyone about. I was at the Shedd two weekends ago and we're members so I was the first person in the underwater viewing gallery and a little baby beluga played peek-a-boo with me for 4-5 thrilling minutes. I got about a minute or so of it on video but this went on for what seemed like forever. There was a little section over on the far right hand corner of the tank where it was backlit pretty brightly by the stairwell and some stupid starfish exhibit that made it difficult to take a video in the tank. I think the lighting let the whale look in at ... See Moreme, though, because I was the only one in there at the time and he stayed right in front of me for several minutes and responded with little flips of his head and tail when I reached out to touch the glass. It was one of those moments that just never happens at a place like this and I thought to myself if I didn't take a video of it no one would believe it happened.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a witness and it was amazing. After five or so minutes, I came over and then one of the volunteers walked by and remarked "how unusual" it was that the whale was in that corner or seemed to be just hanging out there...
Beth